Be thankful for what you have & what you are receiving. Reframe “the negative” into “what’s possible now I have this or know this?”
Pay attention to what the speaker is saying. Use verbal & non-verbal queues to reinforce the fact you are listening.
See the bigger picture & stay true to how you want to feel & act in any given moment. Remember you always have a choice.
Practice & Preparation
Preparing to receive feedback starts a long time before you have a feedback conversation. Like building a house to withstand strong winds, you need a strong foundation to be able receive feedback well.
Know Your Tendencies
You’ve been getting feedback all your life, so there are no doubt patterns in how you respond.
- Brainstorm for 1 minute all the feelings you experienced during & after receiving feedback?
- Describe how you reacted to the feedback? What did you say and do?
- Describe what you thought about saying and doing but didn’t?
- Out of 10, how well do you feel the feedback conversation went?
- Now think of another time you received feedback and repeat these questions.
- Compare your experiences. What are the similarities? These are your tendencies.
Now you know your tendencies, is there:
- Anything you think doesn’t work for you when receiving feedback?
- Anything you’d do differently?
Do you want more Practice & Preparation?
Join PAVE and gain unlimited access to resources to support your soft skills development.
In The Moment
- Take a breath and just listen to what is being said.
- Feedback is just words. Sound waves. You are not in danger.
- Your role when receiving feedback is to acknowledge the opinion of the person giving you feedback. You don’t have to agree with their opinion.
- Be curious and ask questions. Take the opportunity to learn something about yourself & the other person.
- Use clarifying questions or ask the person to provide specifics so you can really understand what is being said.
- Review the Active Listening skill card for more details
Need Some Help?
Book a free 15-minute, no obligation conversation with one of our advisors.
AGILE5 for Agile Teams
7-12 week programme for agile teams looking to move from good to great. Unblock your teams, decrease stress & increase productivity & performance.